Saturday, July 17, 2010

The Clue


A car pulled into the driveway and screeched to a halt. She went outside to see who it was. Surprised to see her husband arrive so soon, she went down the steps to greet him.

He didn't seem in a mood to acknowledge her smile. She felt something was wrong. Seriously wrong... She decided not to ask and anger him further and followed him back to the house.

"You two timing bitch", he shouted. This sudden exclamation scared the hell out of her. She felt the color drain out of her face. But she decided she won't give up.

"Whats the matter? And why the language?" she asked in a calm tone.

"I had heard stories about you, but I was too much in love to believe them." His tone went from anger to remorse. She felt her feet trembling now but she still managed to put up a confident face.

"I won't take any more of that language now. So calm down and tell me whats wrong." She felt amazed at how calm and composed she could be. The acting classes in college had definitely helped.

"I don't give a damn. You cheated on me and you still have the guts to stand in front of me asking me to stay calm.", his eyes were fiery when he spoke this.

"What the hell are you talking about? I am not cheating on you. How in hell did you think I would do such a thing?" Her voice was rising as well.

"Just shut your mouth. This time I am dead sure that a boy has been visiting this house when I am out. You got yourself a toy now? Is that what this has come to?", He yelled.

She felt a cold shiver run down her spine as he heard these words. How did he come to know about her toyboy? She had destroyed all evidence that could lead back to her adulterous romps. She thought about the sheets and curtains and remember she had changed them. Maybe he was just taking a wild guess. Should she surrender? She decided to play on...

"I don't know what the hell you are talking about and I am not going to take anymore of this now. If you show me even one piece of evidence, I'll happily go to the gallows. The cost of loving my husband truly!"

"You don't need no gallows. Coz I'm gonna slit your throat right here right now.", Saying this, he started wandering around the house searching for clues. She had been clever to cover it all up. Not a single piece of evidence that would link to the presence of another male in this house. He went from the living room to the bedroom. But no use. She had cleaned up the trail very cleverly. He went for room to room, then the toilets and staircases and finally checked the wardrobes.

Till then she kept waiting in the living room cursing now and then at him, at her bad luck, at the person who had told him about this affair. Deep inside she was trembling as she thought about the consequences if he found anything on her.

After a few minutes he came back, his face flashing a wicked vicious smile. "You better confess or this is gonna cost you a big time."

She realized her time was up. She confessed to everything. He demanded a divorce and she meekly agreed. After a few months, they met to sign the papers. After putting her signatures she finally gathered up the courage to ask him, "How did you find out about it? I mean I was pretty sure I had cleaned out all traces."


 



"Simple", He smirked. "The toilet seat was up!"
 

23 comments:

Aparna (Life Takes) said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Aparna (Life Takes) said...

oh a real real crazy twister alright!

the ending was very funny....unexpected twist in the plot!

ah men and their freaking washroom manners...always get the ladies into trouble!

Saurabh Panshikar said...

Aparna... That was very fine of you to protect the dear lady who was having an affair! Women Hmmpf!

KittySigurdardottir. said...

What a genius husband she lost.

Chatterbox said...

Very interesting plot and a surprising evidence to add to the twist :)

Very well narrated :)

You are wonderful with with the narratives I must admit :D

Keep 'em coming :)

Cheers!!

World of Gore said...

At first i really didn't know where this was going, but was quite intersting read. He did turn out to be smarter than her.

Sorcerer said...

DARN!!!!!
The fundamental laws of physics some how doesnt apply to toilet seats!

Good!story mate..real good one!

Nethra said...

Wow! That was some clue. :P I liked the story very much. More than that, I liked the clue. :)

Saurabh Panshikar said...

Barbie thanks for the comment

Hey CB thanks for dropping... And thanks for the generous comment

@World of Gore
Yes he did... And that is exactly what I want... The readers to get hit by the twist.

@Sorcerer
Thanks man... Long time since you commented here...

@Nethra
Thanks a lot... Glad that you liked it.

kanagu said...

Thats surely some clue :) interesting narration Saurabh.. :)

7-aTe-9 said...

LOL sheesh... bet tht dude left the seat up on purpose. no doubt to get ze lady into trouble! nice pot though... i mean, plot. ;-)

Rocksa said...

HAHAHAHAHA! Saurabh, how did u think of the plot at first place? Wondering :P That was a funny twist!

Good to see you writing amidst your schedule :) Cheers!

Saurabh Panshikar said...

@Kanagu
Thanks a lot teamie...

@789
Thanks for the comment... It could even be possible that the lady was a....

@Raksha
Thanks yaar raksha! Well my brain just came up with a plot... You need to examine it further...

Kshitij KK Khurana said...

That is a nice story Sau. I love stories with absolutely unexpected endings.

There is a part where he wants to slit up her throat.. and then susswnly starts wandering in search of clues - I found it very funny (imagining).

You are a good writer Sau. Your writing style is just the kinds I prefer - desi mostly... I love desi!

I have noticed I enjoyed everytime I was here. Let me follow you now.

Roshmi Sinha said...

Nicely woven... with a twist in the tale...

Saurabh Panshikar said...

@Kshitij
Thanks a lot for following... You wont be disappointed I promise!

@Roshmi
Thanks a lot... I love twists

Reshma Gore said...

Not enough evidence to be sure but good story! damn that women wasn't smart enough. she needs some tips from the pros. lol its a nice read!

Farnnay said...

wow.............

aayanman said...

he he, had heard a joke about this long time back, you ve woven a story around it. nice !

Gorakh Nath. said...

A very interesting story - and an even more interesting clue:)

This is what they call, a twist in the tale, Isn't it beta?

Keep it up - an old man can appreciate good stories and good storytellers.

- Gorakh Nath.

Anonymous said...

i'm new... hope to post around more often!

Karthik said...

Excellent, dude. I loved the twist. The very last sentence makes THE difference to the story. Too good.

Varsha said...

funny twist and I agree..she lost a very smart husband!

Related Posts with Thumbnails